Monday, September 10, 2012

Developing Your Writers' Approach

What is a writers approach? Basically, it's your writer's platform that sells you. Not necessarily your book, but you. And in selling you, the book will naturally follow.

It's the special positioning that will get you in front of the public, into schools, libraries, luncheons, seminars, anywhere where you can go and talk to people. You are not going to plug your book. You're going to plug you.


How do you find your writers approach? If you don't know your platform, answer these questions:

        ·         What is the subject matter of your book? 

·         What is the message of your writing project?

·         Who is your audience? 

·         Why do you write what you do?

·         Who do you hope to impact?

·         What is your long-term goal?

In answering those questions, you've started to come up with something to talk about. But now you need a one-sentence 'mission' that shows you as the expert in what you are creating.

Look up words that identify what you do, that mean something to you. Here are the ones I chose empower, teach, train, inspire. These words describe what I would like to have happen to people.

Now you've got your words, think about something in this world that you are passionate about and would like to do something about. This can be anything, if you write non-fiction; it will very often be your book topic. It can be political, financial, educational, self-help, motivational, or entertaining.  Be specific, mine is to “provide
a positive forum and environment for all writers, and to guide them through the writing, publishing and book marketing processes.”


Now you have your words, and topic, now you must combine them, and create a strong, passionate mission. Here is mine: "Reaching writers, with empowering techniques and solutions to complete their writing projects.

My platform/approach doesn't have to have anything to do with the subject matter in my book Breaking Writers Block through Perseverance, Passion and Purpose. But it does have everything to do with why do what I do. And it has everything to do with how validated I feel as a woman, doing something I love, and I can't think of a better way to help a writer (goal) by providing workshops, coaching and resources, creating published authors, and creating avenues for writers to leave a legacy for their family and friends.  Now when I use this formula, I think of my platform, and can tweak it to any group, depending on who my audience is.

What's your platform or mission statement for your writing and/or business?

 

 

3 comments:

  1. I have the concept of a "writer's approach; however, the problem for me is that I write in multiple genres. For a writer that writes in multiple themes how would s/he do this?

    I am producing a spiritual work, I have a couple short stories and I'm trying attempting to write a play. I also want to try my hand at children's books. So I'm open to suggestions.

    BigMilt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sent a answer but I'm not sure you got it, so I'm sending again,
      One of the most exciting things that happen when you make the committment to take your writing to the next level is that it begins to pour out of you.
      How do you harness it, you ask. You start at the beginning, that means you start at the piece that is most present in your psyche.
      So, get still...stop and ask.. what do I write first? The answer will come and that my friend is the first piece that you work on

      Delete
  2. I understand the concept of the writer's approach and creating a profile. However, my problem is that I write in multiple genres and themes.

    I am producing a spiritual work, I have a couple of short stories I hope to publish one day, a play and to top it off, I want to produce a set of children's books.

    With an "all over the place" profile, how do I sell myself as a writer that desires to write in multiple genres. If I have to choose one or two avenues. I must do the spiritual writing, and then the short stories or children's books.

    Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete