Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Are You a Storyteller or a Writer?

 So now I'm on the vibe of understanding and applying the storytelling techniques to my writing. In one of my creative writers workshops, we talked about the difference betweeen showing and telling a story, and this applies to all genres of writing. But let's talk first about stiorytelling, and how it dresses up your words, how it uses everyday language to SHOW... the reader the story, example: "I looked out the window and saw that it was raining." that's telling something, it's a fact, it's raining. Now let's take the same words and show them. "The icy rain was pounding on the window so hard it startled me." That felt different, I could see the rain on the window. I actually felt the cold icy drops on my skin...burr.
Bring your words to life with active language, we talk a lot about active and passive language in our workshops, watch using the words be, will, these are passive works, enter into the conversation in present tense, example Passive - I will write today. Active - I am writing today.
Just a few tips on writing the write way.
Back by popular demand is Reflections Creative Writers Workshop beginning Satuday, June 22nd in Los Angeles. More information forthcoming!

Debbie Bellis, Publisher/Writers Coach

No comments:

Post a Comment